Welcome to the Mount Annan Christian College Junior School Teacher Blog.

This blog has been developed by our staff to deliver an alternative approach to Professional Learning. We will be exploring a variety of new and innovative approaches to education. Our major focus will be on examining the changing paradigms in education. We hope to share our ideas with each other whilst challenging our current beliefs and practices. We welcome comments from Educators around the globe and look forward to sharing new thoughts and ideas.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Chapter 3 - The Adventure continues.....


What’s the difference? Key Materials, Concepts, and Routines for Launching the Daily Five


When we follow routines day after day, our students can use their energy to grow as readers and learners rather than to figure out what we expect them to do. And we in turn, can focus our energy on teaching, not managing, our independent learners.” - Kathy Collins

The practicality of the Daily Five makes this book a valuable resource. It is clear in its intention to create independent workers who are motivated by their own learning. The authors set a strong foundation for this student independence by introducing their students to following key materials, routines and concepts that are crucial to the success of the program:
  • establishing a gathering place for brain and body books
  • developing the concept of good fit books through a series of lessons
  • creating anchor charts for referencing behaviours
  • Short, repeated intervals of independent practice
  • Calm signals and check in procedures
  • Using the correct model/ incorrect model approach for demonstrating behaviours.


Establishing a Gathering Place
This a place that is a large open space large enough for the whole class to come together and sit on the floor, regardless of age. This allows distractions to be limits and to check in on behaviours more effectively. Students gather together after each work session, signalling a shift in activity and thinking. This is called a brain and body break.

Good-fit Books
I love the concept of students being able to have the skills to choose books for their own level. The authors cite the research that they base the premise of good fit books upon. It is essential to spend focused time teaching students the skills needed to choose good fit books that they enjoy. The sisters understood after time, that a child’s purpose for reading, interest in a topic and ability to comprehend played as large a role in finding a good fit book as readability did. They came up with the lesson plan for “I PICK” good fit books lesson.

I PICK is an acronym for the following:
  1. I choose a book
  2. Purpose - Why do I want to read it?
  3. Interest - Does it interest me?
  4. Comprehend - Am I understanding what I am reading?
  5. Know- I know most of the words


The lesson Plan that the authors use is an analogy of how shoes fit our feet, which they discuss with their students in detail. They describe how shoes need to fit the wearer well in order to fit their purpose. They then ask students how they know a book is a good fit. This becomes an ongoing conversation with students through the year as they continue to understand what is a good fit book.
After the lesson is completed, the students spend time choosing a book using the I PICK strategy. If students are struggling to find a book for themselves, the authors repeat the same process each and every time.
For children to read independently and practice reading, they need a variety of books at their direct disposal. Each child has their own book box with three to eight good fit books.

Setting Up Book boxes
The authors set up each students box initially but after the good fit lessons, the students then make their own selection. Books are acquired from a variety of sources, such as libraries, donations from families and op - shops.

Anchor Charts
The authors came up with this idea when visiting New Zealand, where they really liked the idea of permanently displayed charts. They call these anchor charts, which are used when a new component of the Daily Five is introduced and a referred back to all year long.

Short Intervals of Repeated Practice
This section is based on Michael Grinder’s work on memory. They have ten steps to improve muscle memory. It involves activating a kinaesthetic system to develop memory. In the launching phase, students practice the correct behaviours for no longer than three minutes. If a student goes off task during the practise time, then that signals the time to stop, gathering them back together to review how it went. Time is increased as students are more successful.

Signals and Check in
Students are encouraged to respond to a signal quickly, but also in a calm and respectful manner such as chimes. This is done after a careful explanation of the purpose for doing so. Students discuss what it would look like in the classroom when the teacher wants everyones attention. Students then practise their suggestions. The signal used throughout the year to bring students back together for check in is to use a thumbs up in front of their heart, to signal if if they knew in their hearts that they were independent and successful with that new behaviour.

Correct Model/Incorrect Model
Modelling is an Important part of the Daily Five model, showing what the skill looks like when it is properly done. Students are also given the opportunity to model the incorrect way, especially for those students with challenging behaviours. Then the student is given positive attention when they model the correct behaviour.
Comments:
I have been struck by the way that the sisters have taken time to establish structure and routine that underpins their learning. Reading is at the very core of their established routine. The children are involved in each step. They are encouraged to reflect on their own behaviour. I can see how vital these steps are in ensuring that students know the correct models to use and they are not given too much opportunity to fail. 

Can’t wait for the next instalment!
Kate

What do you think about having students pick their own books for reading?


6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the concept of book boxes. I find that the books that i have on my shelf in the classroom are not appropriate of the age of students that i have and the students get very bored with them. It would be nice to have a range of books based on student’s interests and reading ability. I have borrowed a collection of books from the library before but not enough for the class to have one each to read if they wish to do so.

Anonymous said...

I also love the idea of the book boxes but struggled with how to get 5 - 8 appropriate books per student and store them (125 - 200 books!). My class and I have had lessons on what a good fit book is and practiced testing how many words on the page they can read (a strategy we received from Mrs Pope via our blog), and since then they have been encouraged to bring in a good fit book from home or the library to read. This worked very well initially as I went around and had Ss read to me and we discussed whether or not it was a good choice, but as I do not not have time to check every students book each day some continue to slip through attempting to read books that are too hard. I love the concept of I PICK and am going to try and use this to reinforce what a good fit book is.
Does anyone have any ideas about how we could get the book boxes up and running in terms of supply and storage?

Anonymous said...

Kate, great summary, lots to ponder. Fay and Amy, I agree with your comments on the books. Melissa and I have tried an initial book box for each reading group, but after reading this rethinking the I- does it interest me? I think too if we borrowed enough for each child, it would be a massive loan! Amy I like the idea of encouraging the students to borrow a good fit book in library time. It would be interesting to see how it is used in other classrooms and whether they have a separate set or borrow from the library? Georgia

mrs todd said...

The I PICK strategy is so very well thought out. I am going to try this with my class. I have already moved towards this in encouraging students to pick a book that they are interested in. The book boxes are a great thought. The sisters suggest sending a note home asking for books that families don't want. I think I will also go and visit the op shop as there are some excellent books that you can get cheaply. I think that has changed my thinking somewhat is not setting a timer, but stopping when a student starts to become restless. They do not reprimand this child, but encourage them to build stamina. The ladies are really into wanting their kids to develop good habits not reinforce bad ones.

Mrs Downes said...

I think that's a great idea Kate. Lots of people have books at home that they don't need. I like reinforcing stamina in the students, too. I started with a few minutes this week, but next week I might try to watch for signs of restlessness like you have suggested.

Unknown said...

Another great chapter from The Sisters! In response to Kate's question about my thought on children picking their own books, I think this is a great idea! I remember I had a particularly tough Year 5 class and although the boys were strong readers, it was always a challenge to get them to stick with a book all through silent reading. So one day I took in a collection of car magazines (with the inappropriate pages torn out!) and I didn't hear a peep out of them during silent reading ever again. Ahh, the power of allowing students to read something that actually interests them!!

Fay and Amy, I agree that it would be diffiult to have enough "good-fit" books for each student in the class. Reading through this section of the book I found myself thinking "This is great, but do we have enough books?" Then there's the question of storage.... granted my Reading Tent does take up a great deal of room!