Welcome to the Mount Annan Christian College Junior School Teacher Blog.

This blog has been developed by our staff to deliver an alternative approach to Professional Learning. We will be exploring a variety of new and innovative approaches to education. Our major focus will be on examining the changing paradigms in education. We hope to share our ideas with each other whilst challenging our current beliefs and practices. We welcome comments from Educators around the globe and look forward to sharing new thoughts and ideas.

Friday, October 12, 2012

CHAPTER 5


During Chapter 5 the two sisters present a series of examples of conferencing sessions they have performed with children who are all working on a range of strategies.

The first goal they introduce is Comprehension with the strategy of ‘check for understanding’. They conference with students who are both beginning readers and advanced readers. Sevila is a beginning reader who knows her letters and sounds and can decode words easily, however struggles with understanding.  To help Sevila with this strategy Gail demonstrates how she can stop and think about what she has just read. After reading about 5 pages Gail stops and retells what she has read.  Gail mentions to Sevila that once she can retell the story she can move on. If she cannot retell the story she needs to reread that part. The secret is to think about the story, as we read not just read the words.

Inna, is an advanced reader who is working on the strategy ‘check for understanding’ too. Because she is an advanced reader Gail choose some picture books that would support her vocabulary and story line. These were the kinds of texts she needed, with more support for understanding the text and vocabulary in it. Gail used the same approach to model the strategy for Inna as she did with Sevila. She asked Inna to stop at the end of each page to see of she could retell what had happened. She told Inna to ask herself ‘who and what’. Who did we just read about and what were they doing? She mentioned that they would meet with Inna daily to move her forward into more sophisticated strategies to improve her meaning.

The next goal the sisters looked at was Accuracy with the strategy of ‘flip the sound’.  Again they met with an advances reader and a beginning reader. Jaeger was a begging reader who knew all the letter sounds in isolation. When he made an error reading or something didn’t make sense he new to go back and reread, however he could not correct himself.  He was reading the word stop as stope. To help him with this mistake Gail taught him how to flip the sound.  I really liked this strategy as this is a common mistake kids make in Kindergarten and this is a great way to help correct themselves. Gail gave him some sticky pages to put in his book every time he used the strategy to help reinforce this.

The flip the sound strategy was also used to help the advanced reader with the same problem. When teaching this strategy, whether it is for a beginning reader or an advanced reader, we follow the same sequence.
·      Model with the word the child has read within his or her text.
·      Continue modelling a few times from the child’s text.
·      Have the child practice flip the sound a few times
·      Give the students the task of practicing the strategy during Read to Self and record the words they practiced.
·      Set another appointment to review the strategy.

The next strategy Gail introduced was Cross Checking.  When using this strategy with a beginning reader, Gail encouraged the student to look at the pictures in the book for a clue. Look at the picture and look at the first letter of the word, does it make sense? I have found myself using this strategy a lot in Kindergarten

For an advanced reader the strategy changes, as they tend to read books with out pictures. Students still cross check but they are looking for understanding as well. Students need to re read the sentence and cross check which word in the sentence doesn’t make sense and why. When student reread the text Gail encouraged him to read each work slowly and cross-check it by asking himself ‘Does the word I am reading match to letters on the page, does it sound right, and does it make sense? Sound familiar J

The third goal was Fluency focusing on rereading the text.  During this meeting Gail meets with a students who was taking along time to read. This was from years of reading texts that were too hard for her. To improve her reading Gail asks her to read some books that are a little easier for her. Reading these books over and over again will help her read it fluently and with expression. I love how this example is exactly what we are doing with our Home Reading system and encouraging kinds to improve their fluency.

The last goal was Expand Vocabulary using the strategy of ‘tuning into interesting words’. Ikman could read anything but struggled with comprehension because he didn’t know what the words he was reading meant. Gail encourages Ikman to write down any words he doesn’t know into his personal word collector and during Read to Self Ikman can write down words he doesn’t know onto post-it notes in his story. Gail makes a note to meet with him to show him how to find the meaning of the words the next day. Gail also talks about Table-Talk books. I thought this was a great idea. Students can take their table-Talk book home and share the new words they have learnt with their family.

I found this chapter really interesting as it gave me an idea on how to ‘meet’ with the students. I haven’t introduced meetings with my class yet as a lot of them are reading under level 10 and we are just getting into picking our own activities during daily 5. However, I have found myself modelling some of the strategies during Listening to Reading when I read to the kids. 

What strategy did you introduce first?

How often are you conferencing with students?

What's the best time to begin this? Should it be dependent on a reading level?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Kristen

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Kris - really loved tthe idea of the kids taking their words home in a book to share with their families. It is so key to learning to have the connection between home and school. I love using the strategy sheet to help me know where to take the kids next. It's just so helful. I'm managing to get through about five kids before 10 am realistically. Sometimes less depending on interuptions. Im finding also that I can get some done in eating time.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kris - really loved tthe idea of the kids taking their words home in a book to share with their families. It is so key to learning to have the connection between home and school. I love using the strategy sheet to help me know where to take the kids next. It's just so helful. I'm managing to get through about five kids before 10 am realistically. Sometimes less depending on interuptions. Im finding also that I can get some done in eating time.

Anonymous said...

What strategy did you introduce first?
I had trouble deciding initially whether to introduce comprehension or accuracy strategies first as it’s hard to understand if you can’t decode the words, but there’s no point reading the words if you don’t comprehend it at all! After going round in circles in my head for awhile, I decided to use comprehension strategies for my whole group strategies and focus on them as an overarching strategy for everybody (which I refer to during conferencing) and then select individual strategies based on their accuracy needs foremost. Ultimately they’re working on two strategies.

How often are you conferencing with students?
I attempt to get to each of my students once per week, however with my RFF falling on a Thursday every second morning and all the different events that occur during the mornings, in reality it’s probably more like once per fortnight for the majority of students and only twice for my lower readers that I really try to get to. A way that I have tried to improve this is by having students also read with a parent helper once a week – this means that they read to an adult/teacher minimum once per week with the aim being twice per week.

What's the best time to begin this? Should it be dependent on a reading level?
As I teach year three I began this once the initial stamina building phase (20days) had been completed, although it took me a LONG time to build up my speed to conference with kids (I’m still practicing!)

Mrs. Shabaya said...

Having Year 4, most of whom are really good readers, I can imagine the struggle of what-strategy-when with Kindy. Chicken and egg kind of thing.

I started teaching D5 using the manual D5 for Idiots - thanks to Georgia - and so I closely followed all that was written in the exact same sequence. It was easy to follow.

At the moment, I see my students once a fortnight. I have no parent helpers but I have a T.A in the room for part of the week. She is able to listen to four of my struggling students on each of those days and help them with fluency specifically. I also see them but not on a daily basis.

Your final question takes me to an early lesson in D5 - Three ways of reading a book. One of those ways is Reading the Pictures. I would like to think that even with those kids who are not yet in the higher levels, some of those comprehension strategies can be applied when Reading the pictures. Then again maybe not.

Maybe we should ask the question of Kindy reading on D5 twitter hashtag. I am certain someone has worked out a way.

Great job Mrs Fuller!

Anonymous said...

In Kindergarten students have been working on cross checking. Students look for clues in the pictures and at the first letter of the word and ask themselves, ‘does it make sense’? I find now that my students are so observant with the pictures that they have been telling me when the picture in the story matches the front page.
My students have also been working on fluency. During ‘read to someone’ students have been reading at an easier level to work on their expression.

Mrs Downes said...

Thanks Kristen, great summary.
I also used the Daily 5 for Dummies which helped me introduce the strategies. It really helped me as there was a clear guide on how to introduce the different strategies. From memory, we did 'Check for understanding' first.

I try and meet with the students once a fortnight. Any more than that and I feel as though sometimes I am just rushing them through. That's just my situation though.

Unknown said...

Wow that was a really good read. So many excellent strategies explained and taught in an amazing way. I always teach the strategy of comprehension first as reading without meaning is not reading. Kinder children need that constant reteaching of "Does it make sense?" Using the pictures to support their attempts at unknown words.
I really love the 'flip the sound' strategy and we have just started to put this into practice in KF.

Am I conferencing with students? No not in a formal way. I monitor their skills and reading strategies in my guided reading groups at this stage.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great summary. At the moment I get through a minimum of 4 students a session (before crunch n sip) each day but as we all know, this can change dur to other events. I do have parent helpers in sometimes through the week, however this is not regular. This allows the students to read to another adult besides myself. As the rest of stage One did, we followed Daily Five for Dummies which was great at the start of the year, trying to get my head around a new way of doing things. I think we did Check for Understanding first. This is still something that we revisit often as the chn tend to rush and forget to check for understanding themselves and for their partner when doing RTS.

Anonymous said...

Hi all, this articles was published today in the daily5 newsletter from the 2 sisters. It's only short (about 4 paragraphs) so an easy read and made me really think about who I chose to conference with and in what order

http://www.thedailycafe.com/public/530.cfm?utm_source=October+26%2C+2012&utm_campaign=Oct+15+Tip+&utm_medium=email